Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Delilah the Dulcimer


It finally happened...I bought a dulcimer on Saturday!  It was the only one listed on Craigslist so I am convinced it was meant to be.  The people were super nice and it was a screaming deal.  A McSpadden dulcimer with a case and a book for only $149 when they normally retail for about $350-$400! (I might add I even had the money for this because Scott sold his mountain bike on Craigslist!  Gotta love the Craigslist circle)

I was uber excited to get home and play except that it was out of tune and I didn't know how to tune it.  Thankfully, my music teacher Karen said I could drop by this afternoon and she made it sing.  She told me I had to name my dulcimer because all instruments had to have names.  I decided on Delilah.  I like the alliteration of the d's.

I hope Delilah can forgive me because even in tune I somehow find a way to make it sound not so pretty.  I have so much to learn and it feels so overwhelming, but there will be 30 seconds where I play something well and its awesome!  I had to break down and add the blue painter's tape under my frets so I could reinforce where each fret is located.  Makes me feel so silly, but you do what you have to do to learn.  I still do math on my fingers.  Oh well!

My first song I am tackling is Pretty Betty Martin.  I think its a sweet song and is pretty easy because it repeats a lot.  Its amazing how a little less than an hour of playing and my fingers feel funny.  I guess I will have to break them in but I have a feeling it will hit a painful period before everything becomes normal.

Welcome Delilah...its going to be a bumpy ride!

3 comments:

DarcC said...

Happy for you! Practice makes perfect!

Nicole said...

Practice definitely makes perfect! I hope my fingers can handle it. They still feel funny this morning. How do professional musicians do it? :)

Little Wren said...

She's super pretty! Congrats! :)