Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chicken Condo 2.0

The chickens are growing like weeds! I swear every morning I go to say hello they have grown exponentially. There are more feathers, the waddles look bigger or they seem taller. Its quite the experience to watch an animal grow so quickly. Not quite the same experience I have had with puppies.

Unfortunately, the chickens grew right out of their condo (aka brooder). So we found some bigger boxes (if you are wondering they are uhaul wardrobe boxes) and went into constructing chicken condo 2.0. I am sorry to say I didn't take detailed pictures again of this assembly but I think this is the web site I found the idea from: Community Chickens

Condo 2.0:

Basically it all looks the same but is just bigger. I think the chickens can appreciate the additional room, although they have been a bit flighty with the change of scenery. I am a bit baffled by this because the cardboard is the same color, we are using the same kind of bedding and the temperature has stayed the same. My chickens are just super sensitive.

I have also purchased new feeders and waterers that can hang since the chickens are making a mess of their current set up. They have gotten bored and decided to play "Queen of the Watering Can" in which they are try to jump on top of it. This of course makes it dirty and I have to change it more often. I don't like this game, although my favorite chicken, Glinda, keeps winning. I am secretly proud of her. :)

Here's a picture of Glinda (Plymouth Barred Rock):

This week Scott and I will be working on modifying the dog house we bought off craigslist to become the Chicken Coop 1.0. I will make sure to take pictures of the whole process in case you feel inspired to keep chickens of your own.

The Rest of the Ladies:

In front is Millie (Buff Orpington), right behind her the black chicken is Vivian (Black Sex-Link), next in line is Red Sonja (New Hampshire Red) and finally huddled in the back is our VERY flighty Rhonda (Ameraucana).

1 comment:

DarcC said...

I love it when they are in the "dinosaur" phase, in the middle of feathering out, they look like they're there now. My meat birs are sprouting tail feathers while their bodies are still down, and MAN are they FAT little things! Glad your girls are doing well!