Thursday, June 16, 2011

Mountain Dulcimer Lesson No. 1

My first dulcimer lesson was last night!  I was so very excited and even though I was so dead tired (damn morning workouts at 5 am) the minute I walked into Karen Smith's studio I was awake and ready to begin my music journey.  Of course, it didn't hurt that her studio is painted a bright orange and has such a fun eclectic feel that makes you want to be awake, ready to take on life!

I stumbled upon Karen's information off the web site: Everything Dulcimer.  She is the only music teacher listed in the state of Idaho.  I was praying she was good.  Karen is quirky in all the was music teachers are and her passion and raw love of music was oozing from her and infusing me with such glee and excitement that I had a hard time sitting still.  To say Karen is good is probably an understatement.  She was awesome!

She, too, was excited to have a new dulcimer student since its not a common instrument for most people to learn.  She had a wide array of dulcimers for me to mess around with but I truly loved her dulcimer.  It sounded so beautiful and just felt right in my lap.  Karen jumped right in teaching me about the different frets and the strings and how to place my fingers in all the right places.  I even had a chance to strum out of few tunes and although it felt awkward I know with just a little practice it would feel comfortable and smooth.

Although I was only signed up for a half hour, Karen ended up spending a little over an hour with me (she is a generous person!).  She recommended I hunt down the Three Rivers Dulcimer Society in Washington.  Its a bit of a drive for me to get over there, but it would be great to meet other dulcimer lovers.  Karen says there is a group that is itching to form here, but it hasn't quite come together yet.  Maybe I can help change that?

My first order of business is to hunt down a dulcimer of my own.  No easy task.  Karen suggested I checkout a place in Nampa called Unicorn Woodworks, where they build dulcimers.  I checked out their web site and I am way excited, except these dulcimers might be out of my price range for a bit.  And so the search continues.

I am dying to be playing right now so hopefully the search won't last too long.

No comments: