Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chicken Tractor Time!

Yes it's chicken tractor time! Since the weather has been warming up nicely I decided it was time for the chickens to get there butts outside. They will still be sleeping in their box in the garage until the coop is completed but for now they can have some time out in nature.

Scott and I picked up this chicken tractor off craigslist for $80. It was built by the guy I bought it from. It looks weathered but is otherwise of strong construction. I love finding deals on craigslist!!!



We settled the tractor into a sunny spot in our yard and moved the chickens out. I was all excited thinking they would be thrilled to explore their new found territory but disappointingly they huddled in the covered end. Completely anti-climatic! I get it, they are still young and its a whole big bad world and wouldn't you huddle in the corner?



We are going with an unusual setup of having a chicken coop that completely closes up for the chickens to sleep in and then for their daytime use they will be in the chicken tractor. This means every morning I have to get them out of the coop and shoo them to the tractor. And come every evening we will go the other way. I have a feeling this might get old, but it was the faster (not necessarily cheaper) route than building on a chicken run. But I believe that will be on the agenda next summer.

Before you worry, the chickens (when they are older) will get some free range time too in the mornings and evenings and during the weekends while I am working in the yard.

2 comments:

Little Wren said...

They're so cute and little! ;)

Allie said...

So cool!!!