Friday, June 17, 2011

Chicken Coop 1.0

After a few days of hard work, Scott has finished with the necessary improvements to our dog house turned chicken coop.

This story begins about two months ago when Scott and I decided we weren't going to do chickens this year because our lives were (are) crazy and did we really want to add one more thing?  But then I got all inspired by my urban homesteading blogs and books and couldn't imagine not doing chickens.  I started patrolling Craigslist hoping to find a cheap coop so my dream could come true.

And then suddenly there was the perfect dog house to convert into the perfect coop!  It was only $80!!!  I was sold!  It turns out this dog house was custom built by an engineer who got bored one weekend.  Only engineers!  His boredom is my gain!



Of course, this was a dog house built for a dog not quite fortified against racoons or other dangerous creatures just waiting to eat chickens.  Modifications will have to be made.  Step in Scott, the reluctant handy-man but so willing to try for me-husband. (Scott will be the first to admit he isn't a handy man.  Although he is able to fix ALOT of things his skills have limits.  It's ok.  Mine do too.  Its a reason to learn something new or if necessary call in a professional)  We disscussed and decided that we would have to add a front door that latched and cut in a back door that would allow for easy access to eggs and help with cleaning.  We stumbled on a good tip and added vinly flooring to help with faster clean up.  Toss in a pre-fab nesting box, some wood bars for roosting and we have ourselves a chicken coop!

Front Door

Then we (as in my man) had to pull out the power tools...





We are planning on fitting in 5 hens to this little cozy place.  It's strictly for them to sleep in, as in the morning, they will be freed to run around the yard or be sequestered to the chicken tractor which I mention in an early post.  You can read about that here: Chicken Tractor.  Scott and I both recognized that we will probably want to upgrade the coop next year to allow the chickens some more room and to add on a chicken run that connects to the coop.  Big chicken dreams we got brewing here.  I am also sure we will discover improvements that could be made to make the coop work not only better for the chickens but better for us.  

Oh I should mention that I will be painting the chicken coop hopefully this weekend and will make sure to post a final pic.  We are also scooping out the best place in our yard for the coop.  So many choices, all with good and bad options.  Wish us luck...this puppy is heavy and will not be easy to get into the yard.

Now I am sure you are wondering how much this adventure has cost us so I broke down the costs for you.  We have had our chickens since May and neglected to keep all the receipts so these costs are all estimates.  Once the chickens start laying I will start factoring in monthly costs vs. costs of eggs and see how we come out.  Everything I have read about chickens basically says you break even.  I am not necessarily doing this as a cost savings, plus there are all the intangible savings like weed and bug control and fertilizer that the chickens provide.  I think we come out as winners!

Item Cost
Starter Feeder $3.00
Starter Waterer $3.00
Oyster Shells $8.00
Cracked Corn 40 lbs $10.00
Heat Lamp & Bulb $10.00
Adult Feeder $12.00
Chickens $12.00
Bedding $14.00
Chick Starter Feed 60 lbs $30.00
Adult Waterer (2) $50.00
Supplies & Tools for Modifications $63.00
Chicken Tractor $80.00
Chicken Coop $80.00
Total $375.00


Last, but certainly not least, thank you to my amazing husband, Scott!  Although I do believe I could have done all of this myself, it was nice that I didn't have to and it was fun to plan this out with someone.  I appreciate you jumping a little out of your comfort zone. Flying a plane would certainly be out of my comfort zone and yet you do it without blinking an eye.
















4 comments:

Nicole said...

John you are right, there are a lot of people who can't eat eggs for lots of different reasons. Rest assured, my chickens will have a happy cruelty free chicken life. All of my pets are spoiled from my tiny little canary to my big rhodesian ridgeback (she get's acupuncture treatments).

But I for one, will be enjoying the eggs that I am so thankful my chickens provide.

DarcC said...

Vinyl flooring! Nicole, you're a genius! I bought a big heavy rubber stall mat to add to my coop-in-progress, but Vinyl flooring sounds like a winner. Lightweight and easier to cut. Perfect, thank you :)

Nicole said...

DarcC~It's also really cheap! We got the self adhesive squares from Home Depot I think for 36 cents a piece. We bought 12 squares. But priceless when trying to clean up bird poo! Much easier than scraping it off wood. And once I spread out pine shavings, the birds should have all the footing they need. Good luck!

zsuzsi said...

How does the coop works? How do you clean it? My chicken poop for England and without the pull-out tray it would be a nightmare to clean.
Cheers
zs