Monday, June 7, 2010

The Road Bike

Many of you don't know my past with bikes. We have a love hate relationship. I always wanted to get into bikes, but the bike world is intimidating. It attracts a lot of type A personalities. But I got lucky when I met my ex-boyfriend who was super into bikes. He helped me build an awesome mountain bike from the ground up and to make me fall more in love with it...it happened to be blue.

We hit the trails (of Tucson I might add). It was fun, but completely scary. I was painfully out of shape (I still have remedy this one). The ex was relentless...always pushing me harder and faster. I began to resent my bike and my abilities. I was angry with him, angry with my self and well dust started collecting on my beloved blue bike.

Well I kicked the ex to the curb but couldn't bring myself to ride the bike again. I had been forever soured on mountain biking. I decided that I would much rather hike the hills then fly around them and crazy speeds and run myself into a tree or cactus. Did I mention how hot Tucson was too?

Then I move to Boise...which seems to be the bike capital of the world. Everyone seems to be on a bike from your grandmother to your two year old. Everyone is sporting everything from tricked out mountain bikes, to fast road bikes, to your chop shop special and everyone's favorite the cruiser. The temperatures are nice and there is the Greenbelt (or rarely used farm roads) to ride in peace. Hello bike! Where have you been?

Regardless, I still feel unsettled by the idea of mountain biking. I think its a great sport but just not one for me. Road riding on the other hand is the perfect fit. I want to jump on my bike and ride a few (well more than that). I don't want to have to worry about trails or running into a tree. Now I know there are cars (much more unforgiving than a tree), but for the most part the greenbelt is going to meet my needs. I am not looking to become the next speed racer...I just want to ride for fitness and maybe the occasional duathlon just for some motivation.

And so I am on a mission to find myself the right road bike. Wish me luck...maybe I will even find one in blue!

No comments: