Tuesday, October 26, 2010

PCOS

I have PCOS. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I was just diagnosed on September 20th. In some ways having the diagnosis was a huge relief. Ever since April of this year I have suffered from deep depression, weight gain, mood swings, bloating, head aches and sleepless nights. I was so miserable and fast approaching the end of my rope. Many doctors told me it was basically all in my head until I met Tammy Hadfield. She was the first doctor to tell me I wasn't crazy. She is an amazing doctor and I have all the confidence that together we will make me well and healthy again.

I won't die from PCOS but I have to very much change my life. If I leave the disease unmanaged I could develop Type II diabetes, heart disease or stroke. I may never be able to have children, although many people with PCOS do.

I am feeling overwhelmed. I hate to say it because its so vain, but the weight gain is out of control which is often the case with PCOS people. I fully admit that I am not eating as well as I should but in my defense I have had a wedding, travel back home to Tucson and my birthday to contend with and who can really say no to chocolate birthday cake? But the reality is I feel awful.

I am blessed with an amazing husband who sacrificed all of our holiday money to pay for the reinstatement of my gym membership. He is amazing! Day one back at the gym was yesterday and thankfully was an easier class. Today will be BodyPump which is all about weight lifting. Ugh! I keep telling myself its all worth it. I even like working out but knowing I have no choice just makes it feel harder than it has to be.

Right now I am hating the way I look and inside I hate the way I feel. Its a no win situation. I know all the hard things in life are accomplished one day at a time, but I wish I could see bigger changes. I do have to admit that the hormone I am taking is making me feel much better. The metformin is still making me feel bad most days but I hope it is helping my insulin levels. Sigh. I will conquer this, but right now I feel like a mouse battling a lion.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

You can definitely do it! I am a big reality show fan and I just finished watching Thintervention with Jackie Warner. On the show was a girl with PCOS and they show her struggles too, but she gets past them and ends up losing double what she expected. If you can get the episodes on Hulu or something I highly recommend you watch it. It was entertaining and inspiring at the same time ;). Good luck!!