Friday, October 29, 2010

Bye Bye Sugar Part 2


I hang my head low while writing this post. Some of you know I did not make my sugar fast until October 23, instead I had a very wonderful chocolate cake and every single bite was heaven. I unfortunately fell off the wagon long before that time. It doesn't help when you have a friend's wedding, travel back home and a birthday. Oh and did I mention my mother-in-law stayed with us for over a week. I love her but she is a sugar enabler.

But now those times are over and its time to move forward again. I have to admit a deep dark secret: sugar makes me feel bad when I eat it. I know. The fist few bites of something sticky and decadent are sublime indeed but by the time I finish the pillowly concoction I am already starting to feel bad. An hour later I just can't shake the sense of unease. It's not always something so obvious as a stomach ache. Sometimes it comes to me in the form of a headache and low energy. I get the sudden urge to run 5 miles just so I can purge my system. My body is trying so hard to tell me something, but my mind has been hijacked by the sugar. Someone's got to step in!

I am going to work hard at banishing sugar from my diet until Thanksgiving this time (which is less than a month away). It seems so stupid but my sugar fast is more important than ever as I am trying to eat a low glycemic diet. Of course, nothing will stop me from eating a piece of pumpkin pie. It's probably one of my favorite things to eat. I also plan on going for a long hike on Thanksgiving morning to help mitigate the mass food consumption that happens on that fateful day. I also tend to eat a VERY light breakfast and lunch.

Wish me luck!

Here's to getting back on the wagon...even though I fell off and was running to catch up! I wonder what are some of the things that other people struggle with and how do they conquer those demons? I would love to know that I am not alone. :)

No comments: