Thursday, October 28, 2010

Green Thumb Where Are You?

The air is crisp and the leaves are slowly turing from green to gold to red and unfortunately so are the leaves to my tomato plants! It was harvest time here at Red Dog Ranch (well if I had a ranch that's what I would call it, but for now that's the nick name for my garden). This was our first year ever growing food that we planned to eat. It was definitely a learning experience and unfortunately in a year, that we have heard, was not that bountiful. Slightly comforting.

The list of our mistakes goes on: Scott pruned the tomato bushes too much, we forgot to research organic pest control, our dogs invaded and we planted all the wrong things in all the wrong places. The victories were few and far between: the strawberries did exceptionally well and even have started to grow outside the garden box and the thyme, oregano, sage and rosemary were unstoppable! I have more onions that I even know what to do with! (Can you freeze them?)

I need to learn how to do canning and drying. Anyone have any recommendations? I am not going to lie, I am a bit intimidated and a bit baffled on how I am supposed to find the time, but damn it, I am trying to run an urban farm here. :)

Now its time to take a break, brainstorm and come up with new ideas. I think I need to read Animal, Vegetable Miracle one more time as well as the countless gardening magazines I have accumulated during the spring. I think a gardening class may even be in order too! And maybe, just maybe I can be bragging about the summer bounty come this time next year.

Until then I will comfort myself with the last few bits of thyme and oregano.

No comments: