Monday, August 15, 2011

Wish'n to Walk in Someone Else's Shoes?

One of my favorite blogs is An Apple a Day by Amy Merrick.  I don't even remember how I stumbled upon her blog but I am thankful I did.  There is an ethereal simplicity to her blog which is full of artfully  taken photos and little interesting snippets about Amy's life on the east coast.

When I read Amy's blog, it reminds me of the life that I pictured in my head for myself.  Living in a dynamic city, doing something interesting (maybe even creative) while wearing a beautiful vintage dress and taking drives out into the country.  Did I mention she rides (or at least did) a motorcycle, too? It just seems so wild and free and somehow perfect.  I am surprisingly at a loss of words trying to describe just the right images and feelings her blog conjures for me.

I am sure Amy doesn't see her life as romantic.  She's just living life the only way she knows how.  But here I sit romanticizing what her days must be like.  It's not that I don't like my life because I do, but sometimes I sincerely feel that there is something missing or lacking and when I read Amy's blog I know what I am looking for is somewhere in there.

Its a little hard to feel interesting and creative wearing workout wear from JC Penny's while staring at my weed filled back yard about to jump into my car to head to the gym.  My life seems a little predictable.  Sometimes I feel like a suburban soccer mom, just without the kids.  And that is the kicker.  I am sure that I find Amy's life so attractive because above all the vintage goodness, she expresses a happiness and acceptance of exactly where she is in her life.  She is at peace with herself.  And boy do I want a piece of that pie!

At the crux of it, Amy also appears to live a simple life and I somehow gravitate to the complicated.  So maybe my problem isn't lack of a vintage dress (although that might help) but my inability to find a peace within myself because of the complications I allow in my way.  I am on the cusp of some major changes in my life which I think will get me a little closer to the peace and simplicity I seek.  I have been on a long search for it (although I think I will always be to some extent) and am getting closer to my slice of pie.  I am scared and excited about how this will change my life.  Who will I be after all this is said and done?  Perhaps a woman wearing a vintage dress doing something creative with her life? Or more importantly, a woman who knows how to sit back and enjoy the simple life?

Maybe...just maybe.

2 comments:

Little Wren said...

Looking in from the outside, you seem like a girl who's got it goin' on! The truth is we probably all wish we lived someone else's life at one time or another. Heck - it's why I bought a $5 quick pick tonight. Seriously though, you have an amazing husband, a wonderful pack of kids and flock of birds, and you yourself are a generous and thoughtful and successful human being! You're an awesome woman!

Nicole said...

Renee you are so sweet! You are right...we all want to try and walk in someone else's shoes for sure. I do have an great husband and I do love all my kids. I got my fingers crossed...hope you win your quick pic! :)